.post-body entry-content { margin-top: 15px; margin-bottom: 15px; }

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Snow Keeps Falling




Outside my window
A billion falling snow flakes.
Inside, my cat drinks.

It is its silence

That gives snow its mystery--
Not a single sound.

Evergreens grow white;
The dark roadway disappears,
Painted by the snow.

The cars are hushed now,
Moving slow, with dignity
Along the white road.













Forsythia buds
Look as though they will bloom white;
A false pregnancy.

It's not only sound
That the falling flakes obscure.
It's the universe.










Now the wind has changed--
Opposite from where it was.
The snow keeps falling.

The road is empty
Save for my crunching boots
And the falling snow.












Three sets of footprints
Ahead of me in the snow.
I'll never catch up.

No comments: