.post-body entry-content { margin-top: 15px; margin-bottom: 15px; }

Friday, January 29, 2010

Footprints in the Sky










A glass hummingbird
Floats above the kitchen sink;
Outside: frozen sun.

The deceptive sun
Lights up trees, field and road,
But provides no heat.

Wind across the field
Picks up swirling clouds of snow;
Throws them to the sun.










Shadows on the snow
Are as sharp as it is cold;
Frigid wind murmurs.










Still there are warm spots,
Places where earth does not freeze;
Where water is clear.












Without my gloves on
My fingers become frozen
In thirty seconds.


It's twelve degrees now;
I keep my pen in my glove
So it doesn't freeze.

In sun snow sculpture
Even garbage looks like art;
(Until the next thaw).

Footprints in the sky;
I swiftly run up the road
To see where they lead.



No comments: