.post-body entry-content { margin-top: 15px; margin-bottom: 15px; }

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Giant Black Bear




As I leave for my twenty-fourth summer at Appel Farm Arts Camp, I leave my beloved Yerry Hill Road for two months. See you again at the end of August.


Cars swish through grayness;
Stella meows for more food.
I open the door.

A shadowless day;
Woodpecker thrums hollowly;
Hens cluck and complain.


Still is the water;
Subdued are the birds' chirps;
Thick is the blank sky.









Firewood in June;
Piled there since last Autumn.
So much has happened.

Last Yerry Hill walk
Until the end of summer--
Galaxies from now.









Decomposing log
Births a thousand new plants--
Reincarnation.

A car blinks its lights;
A mechanical hello;
Still makes me feel good.

A single deer fly;
Buzzing! Swirling! In! Around!
Can drive me crazy.

Loping down the road
Taking his very sweet time:
A giant black bear.

No comments: