.post-body entry-content { margin-top: 15px; margin-bottom: 15px; }

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

This Year a Woodchuck





Once again I take a break from my beloved Yerry Hill Road to go to Appel Farm Arts Camp in southern New Jersey. This will be my twenty-fifth summer as resident old fart, head counselor and theater director. So I exchange the rolling wonder of my neighborhood for the flat lands of New Jersey. I bid all who come here a lovely and peaceful summer, and thanks for visiting.


Warm mid-June morn;
Sun shines off green bushes.
Last walk before camp.


New flowers--new pot;
New caretaker of my house.
The old road beckons.


Tall dandelions
Populating my front lawn
Seem to crane their necks.

Fluttering its wings,
Bird settles in the long grass--
Disappears, rises.


How often I've walked,
Transcending the familiar
With my routine mind.

Old lady on porch
Allows sun to caress her;
We smile together.


Pop blooms by the road;
Path of shadows in the woods;
Endless mysteries.


I watch the dark woods
As a friend drives by and waves
Bringing his own light.


Last year a bear came
To say goodbye on my walk;
This year a woodchuck



No comments: