.post-body entry-content { margin-top: 15px; margin-bottom: 15px; }

Friday, March 11, 2005

YERRY HILL ROAD

For the past five years I have walked the same 2.2 miles down Yerry Hill Road and back again. Being notoriously unobservant, I decided to use this walk as an opportunity to see with new eyes each time.

The ancient Japanese poetic form of haiku forces the writer to focus absolutely and completely on the moment. The traditional syllabic form consists of five syllables in the first line, seven in the second and five again in the third. Traditionally, the haiku have been connected with the seasons. Since I have made my walk in all seasons, the haiku reflect the different times of year.

Today, I surpassed three hundred haiku. No one has seen these but my computer. I thought it would be fun to share. Here are a few from the last week. More will follow.

On my right the wind;
Then it blows across the road.
A tree creaks loudly.


All is soft and white;
Misty snow frosts road and tree.
I walk in a dream.


Footprints in the snow;
They pass me the other way.
There is no one there.


Suddenly the sun;
The trees, the snow, my spirits
All lift up brightly.



No comments: